Monday, December 16, 2019

Once and for all!

Have you ever woke up with a thought and it set the tone for your whole day? Last night, I had a dream about someone famous being interviewed. He was sharing, with the world, about his recent prognosis and his impending death. For whatever reason, I was standing next to him as he spoke. In front of him was a shallow box with rows of rolled up washcloths. Each cloth represented something he would share with the world. As he spoke, I listened and prayed.

Eventually, this man's story became something that I knew would break his mother's heart. Not because he did anything wrong, but because his life and death would impact her so powerfully. I asked him to hand me the cloth his hand was on as he continued with his narrative. I knew his Mom would need my prayer.

When I woke up, there was a strange and seemingly unrelated phrase running through my mind, "Once and for all." How odd, I thought. What did that phrase have to do with my dream? I began to recall places, in the Bible, where that phrase is spoken (Hebrews 10:10, Romans 6:10, 1 Peter 3:18). Then I let myself imagine the vast possibility of what that phrase could mean.

Once: On one occasion; For one time only.
And: Used to connect words that are to be taken jointly.
For: A person or thing that something is sent or given to.
All: Every one; the complete amount; the whole.

Holy Spirit began to speak to my not yet fully awake state of mind, "What if the Good News really was good news? What if it was better than you thought?"

We go to church and hear phrases that eventually become cliche',  "Jesus is the good news." "The Bible is the good news." What if the whole thing, the story of Jesus, as told through the Bible, really is good news? What if it's better than we thought?  Just take a moment to consider what that could mean...

Jesus became a final  (one time only) sacrifice for everything we ever did (or would do) wrong. AND he did it as a gift for everyone (the good, the bad and the ugly). It was documented that death could not hold him and he is alive to this day. Do we really believe everything this indicates? Do we really believe that everyone has already been given this gift even if they don't understand it, make use of it, or jump through any hoops to receive it? Do we really believe that it means we will be clean forever and that even if we die, we will live on? What if this is actually the true meaning of grace?

Suddenly I see how my dream, the wash cloths, the gift we have been given and the heartache of a mother all fit together. This is the Christmas story. Today... celebrate it for ALL it's worth!

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joy of Being "Known"

 Yesterday, I received a cheesy gold frame in the mail. It was in an Amazon box, but there was no packing slip or information as to who may ...