Thursday, December 4, 2014

Closing Down A Chapter

Our Ladybug


   This blog, and my life, are about to make a huge change. On November 29, 2014, my sweet little Tiffany fought her last battle against the disease that had tried to steal her away so many times before. This time, she didn't lose the battle, but instead... broke through the enemies lines, not only for herself, but for so many others as well.

   I've learned, from Tiffany's 30 years in our family, that a diagnoses can sometimes be a curse. Once someone speaks something over your family, you spend a lot of time either accepting or rejecting the words they uttered.  Words like, "She will never live a normal life"... "She won't live much into her teens"... "Death will be violent and terrible"... "You can't continue to live like this."  In the end, Tiffany not only dispelled, but completely annihilated most of what was said about her.

   Life with Tiffany was unusual. Once we realized that we could function, not only as a family, but also as a ministry team with her, everything became a huge adventure. Tiffany taught us that we had choices. We could "go after" anything we wanted or we could sit around, making excuses as to why life was so hard. Tiffany, herself, was always making the choice to continue on. We've lost count as to how many times she flirted with death and then dropped him in his tracks. She was, indeed, a Super Hero.

   I am a different person for having known Tiffany. I am stronger, bolder, and have learned to love fiercely. I am ready to put on my "big girl panties" and look for "Warrior Required" signs in my life. I have been given the ability to find joy in even the hardest times and to seek out open doors in what once looked like dead ends. I didn't grow up a daughter... she "grew up" me.

   I will always love and miss my little ladybug, but I know that the same heart I birth into her, 30 years ago, beats strongly in me. I will live, and live well, because she taught me how.

1 comment:

The Joy of Being "Known"

 Yesterday, I received a cheesy gold frame in the mail. It was in an Amazon box, but there was no packing slip or information as to who may ...