Thursday, March 7, 2019

A Tribute To My Mom 1/4/1941 - 2/13/2019


It is said that you can best know a person by the fruit they drop along the way. Everyone who knew Janet Tramel, can probably identify some kind of fruit my mom left in your path. As for me, some of this fruit became seed and the resulting roots run so deep that the fruit I now drop can be traced directly back to her influence in my life. Three of the attributes, I now carry because of her, are an overwhelming love for everything Disney, an eye to see every obstacle or opportunity as an adventure, and a deep connection to the third person of the trinity… Holy Spirit.

When we were little, my mom had all the latest Disney albums. She played them constantly on our stereo. I was an official member of the Mouseketeers at age 3, but my biggest memory was the giant Disney jar she kept on her dresser. We were always wanting to go to Disneyland, so mom empowered us to get involved in the planning by having us clip out coupons when we went grocery shopping. Every amount we saved on groceries was turned into coin and placed in the jar until we had earned enough to go. I don’t think we ever earned enough ourselves, but in doing this, mom was such a representation of God in my life. She was empowering, encouraging, and she inspired us to find creative ways to set aside our childish impulses to go after what was truly important. I even learned to make bread so we could save the money it would have taken to buy it. She, like God, never showed me the price she paid, herself, for the flour, sugar and yeast it would take for me to succeed. She just praised me for partnering with the plan.

The fruit of adventure came when my sisters, our daughters and I would travel with mom to Women of Faith each year. During the trip we would inevitably get lost somewhere along the way. The moment we did, my mom would say, “Well, it looks like we’re on an adventure.” At first, I hated that phrase, but after years of hearing it, I began to see every obstacle and opportunity as a door to adventure. I could either get stuck in it or choose to go through it and see where it would take me. Jeff and I raised our three children, Jeremy, Tiffany, and Cody not only to embrace life’s adventure, but to also take it a step further and pursue it. Find the adventure and follow it. You never know where it will take you.

The third and most important fruit my mom dropped in my life was Holy Spirit and all the fruit that comes with Him. I grew up knowing God and learned all about Jesus in church, but Mom and Dad went after Holy Spirit and taught me how to do the same. Since I lived away from home, from the time I was 18, Holy Spirit was where mom and I have always remained connected. No matter where I was or what I was learning, I could call and process it all with her. She was as hungry as I was for MORE, and we couldn’t wait to hear the new revelation we each were receiving each time we talked. This connection became a supernatural one for us. We would uncover new attributes of Holy Spirit at the same time, even though we lived miles apart. We could even sense things going on in each other’s life even though we weren’t in close proximity, and we often knew how to intercede for each other even though we hadn’t spoken. I’ll never forget the afternoon I called my mom as I held my own daughter in my arms after she had just passed away. Mom didn’t say a single word. She just cried on the other end of the line with me. We were, at that moment, together through the power of Holy Spirit. During the last year of her life, she never lost touch with that connection. Just like the author of the famous song, she could say, “Whatever my lot, though hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well, with my soul.”

Today, I live 10 miles from Disney World. I work at a church and school introducing people to Jesus and the power of Holy Spirit. My life is one huge adventure. Mom would get a kick out of seeing a group of spirit-filled Presbyterians, from a church inspired by Disney, change the world for Christ. But it’s my guess… she’s already seeing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joy of Being "Known"

 Yesterday, I received a cheesy gold frame in the mail. It was in an Amazon box, but there was no packing slip or information as to who may ...